OHOA Module: Building Trusted Relationships and Positive Self-Image
- Understand that trusted relationships and a positive self-image are the foundation for well-being and development.
- Describe key strategies to create reciprocal interactions from a deaf-blind perspective.
- Apply a consistent approach using turn-exchanges for starting, maintaining, and ending interactions.
- Apply affirmation of a student’s initiative or response.
- Analyze indicators of a student’s processing time.
- Learn to match observations of a student with strategies to share emotions with him or her.
- Describe specific strategies for establishing joint attention.
- Bernadette van den Tillaart (Lead)
- Caroline Daley
- Tina Hertzog
- Chris Montgomery
- Lauri Triulzi
Van den Tillaart, B., Daley, C., Hertzog, T., Montgomery, C., Triulzi, L. (2014, September, rev.). Building trusted relationships. In National Center on Deaf-Blindness, Open Hands, Open Access: Deaf-Blind Intervener Learning Modules. Monmouth, OR: National Center on Deaf-Blindness, The Research Institute at Western Oregon University.