Literacy for Children Who Are Deaf-Blind: Building a Foundation
- Understand the concept of literacy as a continuum.
- Recognize that all children are on the continuum and can continue to develop.
- Recognize the impact of deaf-blindness on literacy skills development.
- Understand that trust and meaningful interactions build communication skills and move the learner along the literacy continuum.
- Recognize the important roles that communication partners and the physical environment play in successful communication.
- Learn how to use the “Literacy Learner Profile” to guide literacy planning and instruction.
- Learn how to use the “Literacy Instructional Plan Template” to individualize daily routines.
- Hilary Hodes
- Julie Durando
- Shawna Benson
- Sue Dell
- Nancy Steele
- Christine Spratling
Hodes, H., Durando, J., Benson, S., Dell, S., Steele, N., & Spratling, C. (2019). Foundations of literacy instruction for children with combined vision and hearing loss. National Center on Deaf-Blindness.