Learning Activity 1: Overview
Time to complete: 3 hours
Watch these slide presentations:
Suggested Discussion Board Activities and Assignments
Discussion Board Activity - Space, Time, and Travel
Write detailed step-by-step directions from your home to another location, as if giving directions for someone else to follow.
Now write the answers to the following questions:
- While traveling this route, how do you know how far along you are and how much further you have to go? In other words, how do you track your progress?
- How do you know you are headed in the right direction?
- How do you know how long it will take you?
- How would you know if you were going in the wrong direction?
- Under what conditions might you lose track of where you are between your starting point and destination?
After you complete the above portion, think about the following:
- Words related to direction.
- Words related to distance.
- Words that are landmarks, objects, and/or color words.
- Words that denote a passage of time.
On the discussion board, write a short reflection on the importance of the concepts of space and time for travel, as well as being able to communicate those concepts.
While everyone on the team helps a student with deaf-blindness develop skills and concepts related to independent movement and travel, the O&M Specialist is the professional uniquely trained and responsible for providing assessment, instruction, and training of other personnel. The intervener plays an essential role in helping the student practice O&M skills every day.