Strategy 4: Create books adapted to individual child preferences, abilities and interests.
What to do
- Adapt existing books to make them more accessible
- Take already created and adapted books and add additional text that may extend concepts, vocabulary and connected language
- Take already created and adapted books and display existing text in other forms
- Create Experience Books using objects and pictures
- Identify familiar symbols and concepts that the child will read in the book or story
- Identify new concepts you want the child to learn
- Locate materials for the book
- Put experience book together with child
- Replicate an existing experience book using a different form of text
- Create story bags and boxes, talking photo albums, and PowerPoint books
Things to consider
- Have you taken the following into account: size, format, length?
- Is there a way for children to access materials on their own (if not mobile)?
- Are the concepts in the book known by the child?
Always Ask Yourself