Strategy 6: Provide multiple opportunities to interact with text through shared storybook reading
What to do
- Identify a variety of people with whom the child has a relationship who can engage in sharing a story with the child
- Identify a variety of ways to engage with the child prior to sharing the storybook
- Establish joint attention before you begin
- Expect and wait for a response from the child
- Be aware of how the child gains your attention
- Use shared storybook reading (Module 3) to read experience books and other favorites
Things to consider
- Are you presenting materials in a consistent manner each time you give them to the child?
- Are you watching for the child to gain your attention to share something about the book?
- Are you responding when the child initiates conversation about the book?
- Are you considering ways to expand vocabulary, concepts or feelings as the child becomes more familiar with the book?