Strategy 5: Provide opportunities for students to read for the purpose of gaining information or knowledge
What to Do
- Analyze student's daily schedule to identify opportunities to embed literacy activities.
- Identify functional text used in daily activities.
- Adapt materials in a meaningful format (make portable as needed).
- Paths to Literacy, a joint project of the Perkins school for the Blind and the Texas School for the Blind, has an article that describes ways to adapt materials for deafblind children.
- Develop and share directions for how student uses the materials.
- After practicing in classroom, generalize to real life settings (e.g., home, church, store).
Things to Consider
- Are all adapted text/materials available in all appropriate settings (school, home, community)?
- Are typical peers included whenever possible?
- Are all materials and activities age appropriate?
- Do all activities lead to active participation and greater student independence?
Always Ask Yourself