Strategy 5: Implement comprehension strategies after reading
- Check for student text comprehension through the use of symbols (object, tactile, photo, line drawing representation) or words (sign, print, braille)
- Single concepts/characters, actions
- Sequence of events
- Story retelling
- Use various strategies to determine story comprehension of single concepts, sequence of story, or story retelling
- Cloze procedure: Use sentence strips with object, tactile, photo, line drawing representation or words (sign, print, braille) for answers
- A cloze test (also cloze deletion test) is an exercise, test, or assessment consisting of a portion of text with certain words removed (cloze text).
- Story mapping or visual mapping
- Provide choices of answers using symbols understood by student - (object, tactile, photo, line drawing representation) or words (sign, print, braille)
- to participate throughout comprehension activities
- to expand the student's answers, to provide more complex answers and to expand participation to more complete comprehension activities
Things to Consider
- Are you using symbols demonstrated through an assessment process as being understood by the student?
- Have you identified the key comprehension questions that you want the student to answer after reading the story?
- Are you allowing enough time for the student to respond?
- Are you taking into consideration issues such as clutter, contrast, etc. when presenting literacy materials?
Always Ask Yourself