Strategy 6: Align to the general education curriculum using adapted reading materials
What to Do
- Provide opportunities to work with a variety of texts (e.g., literary, informational, persuasive, functional) within authentic literacy activities using adaptation strategies and before, during, and after reading strategies (please see these other strategies). Authentic literacy activities are those that engage the student in age-appropriate content in meaningful ways using symbols understood by the student.
- Read with same age peers focusing on age-appropriate content/curriculum
Things to Consider:
- Are you developing and adapting literacy materials and related communication symbols based on assessment that identifies the student's needs, skills, and learning objectives?
- Are you ensuring that you have designed the environment to support access to literacy activities?
- Are you applying before reading strategies when the student is engaged in general education curriculum activities?
- Are you using during reading strategies when the student is engaged in general education curriculum activities?
- Are you using after reading strategies when the student is engaged in general education curriculum activities?
Always Ask Yourself