Strategy 7: Embed literacy learning activities into routines
What to do
- Identify routines that are familiar to the child (eating, diapering, getting on the bus)
- Identify "script" that you will use during interactions with the child as you go through the routine
- Identify and collect materials or tangible symbols you will present when engaged in the routines
- Always present symbol when initiating routine
- Let child help gather materials that are needed to perform the routine
- Conduct the routine/activity
- Let the child know when you are finished
- Let the child help put things away
- Tell the child "finished" again
Things to consider
- Are you presenting the materials in a consistent manner each time you give them to the child?
- What other routines can you identify? (going to the store, bedtime, Dr. appointment)
- Do you see the child anticipate what is going to happen next?
- Is the child processing information after the routine is completed? How do you know?